Pages

Monday, October 28

Halloween Banner Tutorial




Here is a last minute Halloween banner
(in my world I'm right on time,in blogland
 internetville I'm always 5 months behind.)
because sometimes you just gotta make stuff,
even when you know you need to go to
bed and you just keep going anyway
because you don't know when you'll get another chance
to cut little colored shapes of canvas and sew them onto wonderful
little black fabric and drape them around the house
because these kids are only 5 and 2 once and
when they wake up it's like magic.
How did this happen, Mom?
Seriously. excitement around here is so simple these days.
Hearing the ding ding (railroad crossing) go off.
Jack (5):Roll down the windows! It's our lucky day!
Going through the car wash.
Finding yogurt covered pretzels with black and
orange sprinkles in the snack bowl.
Mom, I can't believe you got these for us.
Squirting whipped cream right into your mouth.
Um, I don't think you're allowed to do that.
Okay, on to the tutorial.
Here's what you need:
1/2 yard of canvas (any kind. mine was pretty thick.)
1/2 yard of orange and black fabric scraps
Black acrylic paint
Letter Stamps
Orange thread
*Warning: these are approximate measurements.
I have no patience for measuring things.
Try to make me. I won't.
1. First, cut 11 canvas triangles.
Cut 2 strips of canvas about 2 inches wide,
then cut the strips diagonally,
from top to bottom, to create the triangles.
2. Cut black and orange triangles to go
behind the canvas triangles.
I traced around each canvas triangle onto the colored fabric about a 1/4 inch.
Alternate black and orange.
3. Stamp each letter on the banner with black acrylic paint.
I used basic letter stamps from Michael's.
If you don't have stamps, you can also paint the letters on,
or write them in Sharpie.

4. Sew long 1 inch wide strips of fabric together.
I actually ran out of thick black ribbon, so I decided to try
just sewing strips of fabric together, and it worked.
I don't do hems either. They bore me to tears,
so there are some frayed edges, but not many.
5. Iron the big, long, sewed-together strip in half.
6. Place the triangles on top of each other
and stuff them in the fold together.
Now sew like the wind. with orange thread. and a zigzag stitch.
Here is the secret to getting it centered...
(And here is why I make the big bucks)
Are you ready...start in the center, then work out.
Brilliant, right?
7. Smile because you just made something out of nothing
and you feel satisfied and your kids are going to like it, too.


Happy making, friends.
Photobucket

1 comment: