Pages

Thursday, February 14

31 Days of Scripture Art Journaling::Day 15: How to Make Your Own Stencils

Day 15: How to Make Your Own Stencils





I hope you've had a chance to experiment with stencils. 
The possibilities are endless.
It is super easy to create your own stencils.
***Caution: This can be highly addictive.***



All you need is:

cardstock, a tranparency, or a thin piece of cardboard
&
scissors 

That's it!

1. Just draw your design on your surface.
(I bought a box of transparencies from Target.)



2. Cut out your design.
I started with an exacto knife, but it was way harder to cut than I expected, so I found that scissors were easier. Although scissors won't work for very detailed designs, they worked well for this.


3. Stencil away.


First I stenciled in white:

Then I stenciled in green:



Here's how I created my whole page.

1. I prepped my journal page with gesso  and some red paint,
(the technique explained on Day 9.)




2. Then I tore, cut, & glued paper with gel medium.




 3. And I added another layer paper.



4. And a layer of acrylic paint.



5. And I'm ready to use my newly cut stencils.



First a layer of white:


Then a layer of green.



6. Then a layer of paint.



7. And some stamps


And done!





Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. i really enjoyed this, Erin!
    so much thanks:)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from StudioJRU - I am going to love playing with this 31 days of scripture journaling...sweet tweener and I are doing journals together for the 40 days of Lent this year...this will help her with some direction (as well as myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very cool {and sweet} journal page! Love your new stencils. In fact, that very thing is on my 'art to-do list' this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your homemade stencils - I made some myself recently too :)

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice stencils when i get round to it i might try making my own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful journal page. I love towork with stencils, and I've also done my own. It's a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this! stencils are so much fun. i love the pretty, happy colors you use, erin. so happy to have you join us 'in the studio' this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just amazing, Erin. I LOVE how you have used all the gifts and talents God has given you to create and share with us in our challenge. What an incredible blessing it is to have you stop by to share with us.
    Have a blessed week and come back soon!
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried it but your tutorial is so clear. I signed up for your emails and will join your site. Love the work it's amazing what you have created.
    We love that you have taken time to share your wonderful work with us at Word Art Wednesday.
    Carole Robb Bisson
    The Blessing of the LORD be Upon You!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this tutorial and your artwork! Thanks so much for this whole series! I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing...Love the mix of colors. Thanks for blessing us with your artwork this week at Word Art Wednesday. Hugs, always!

    JO ANN
    http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete