Pages

Saturday, January 29

Big news in my art world...


I won a commission of 12 paintings for Sharp Hospital.
I really can't believe it. I've been working so hard on completing it,
that I kind of forgot what a big deal it is for me.

12 big mixed media collage paintings
And they're big.
Really big.
Like 3 feet x 3 feet big.
This is the biggest painting
I've ever created.
And I love it.


I've been waiting and waiting until I finished them all
to post because I hate showing unfinished work.
I know what the finished piece looks like in my brain,
but no one else does.
So it feels a little naked.


But finishing 12 enormous paintings
takes longer than one thinks it would.
It feels like it's taking me forever.
Step by step.


So here you have it.
Here are my works in progress.
I used my photos from the
Washington coast at
Artfest last spring.


And it just reminds me
that one thing leads to another.
you know?
every single experience,
the good and the bad,
contributes to our story.
and are a piece of who we are.

and one thing leads us to the next thing.
which enables us to do the next thing.


one small act of courage
gives us courage
to move forward and
take the next risk,
which leads to the next thing...


starting a blog,
opening an etsy shop.
signing up for a booth at an art fair.
creating a proposal to teach.
all of it counts.


I'm finally digging up my last bit of energy
to finish this project
and deliver it
and move on.





7 comments:

  1. Wow.....I LOVE these... blue-sky-hope-filled-fresh-wings-breezy meets POWERFUL!!!
    What perfect pieces for a hospital where
    they'll call out to people who need them
    in a gazillion different ways.
    There is so much LIFE in each of them!
    And that they'll be displayed in a place
    where life is so desperately longed for
    and clung to
    brings tears to my eyes.
    No coincidence, for sure.
    Thank you for sharing,
    my life-giving friend:)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOOOOO, Erin!!! That's huge! And the paintings are huge too! So proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Erin! How exciting. I am happy for you and very proud of you :)

    They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a great blog you have. And a BIG congratulation on the commission! That is fantastic and so very exciting. They really are huge and very inspirational! I'm sure they'll look fantastic on display!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the commission and everything you have accomplished.

    These look amazing :)

    You must be on cloud nine right now :) T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. COngratulations on the big commission! How great! I really like the colors and the feel of summer and optimism in your art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are brave. You are talented and creative. You are an inspiration. I'm glad you are a friend. Blessings to you for continued joy and success in wonderful 2011, Erin!

    ReplyDelete